Friday, June 12, 2009

If I could have a do-over today...

There was a knock at my door while I was talking to my friend on the phone. I rush downstairs thinking it is probably my landlord dropping off a new push lawn mower. Instead is was a disheveled man, homeless with slurred speech. I understand 1/2 the sentences, but put it together he wants money. It is the middle of the day and I'm home alone with a large man standing at my door. I immediately feel uncomfortable. My guard goes up. After he gives me his story I say
"I'm sorry no thank you" and try to get him off my front porch as soon as possible. He begins to beg and yell at me, telling me how hungry he is. I close the door and lock it.

I walk upstairs to finish my phone conversation. And then I think about what just happened to me. What would it be like to be so hungry that I'm willing to eat my pride and walk door to door asking for money? What would it be like to set aside my self-preservation to help someone else in need? I could have offered him food since I don't feel comfortable giving money. I could have told him I would be right back and shut the door momentarily while I went and got something from the kitchen. Instead I shut the door...


No comments: